Tech Giving Back
It’s been great to recently see a number of stories regarding highly visible individuals in technology giving back of their success. It’s always uplifting to see people helping people, regardless of scale, and especially exciting to see the technology field make news about philanthropy.
Here are a few that caught my eye:
- Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have been traveling through China, meeting with the wealthy and affluent of the country, to inspire them to give back to the community more than they have. Reports indicate that the participants are very receptive to the message, and the charitable donations in China from this group are expected to grow as a result. Gates and Buffett are looking ahead to India next year.
- Facebook’s Mark ZuckerBerg will be donating $100M to New Jersey public schools. Newark in particular barely graduates 1 out of 2 students, and the college enrollment rate is smaller than that. A donation of this magnitude, and the programs it will yield, will surely have an impact on these kids.
- A number of companies, including Dell, ExxonMobil, and UPS International, joined numerous governments in pledging millions as a part of UN Summit on Millenium Development Goals, to help end extreme poverty and hunger, drive education, and promote equality.
Big names, big dollars, big impact.
Rather than sit back in awe, I hope this inspires all of us to give something back – donate to a charity, make time to volunteer, do a good deed. Even a seemingly small gesture could make a big difference with rippling effects.
Here’s to Tech making a difference!
Until next time,
- STEM: Keeping the Interest - insideHPC insidehpc.com/2017/04/stem-k… @insideHPC #HPC #STEM 13 hours ago
- OpenStack has a big ecosystem - maximize your #opensource cloud skills with these new tutorials opensource.com/article/17/4/o… #OpenStack #cloud 14 hours ago
- AI tech is a crucial lynchpin of much of the digital transformation taking place today buff.ly/2qbInCr #ArtificialIntelligence #HPC 15 hours ago
- RT @OpenStack: See the schedule, pick a day and register! Get your #OpenStackSummit Boston Day Pass now! openstack.org/summit/boston-… 1 day ago
- Better understand the potential growth of revolutionary technologies - #ArtificialIntelligence and #Robotics #AI m.nasdaq.com/article/assess… 6 days ago