Tech Giving Back
It’s been great to recently see a number of stories regarding highly visible individuals in technology giving back of their success. It’s always uplifting to see people helping people, regardless of scale, and especially exciting to see the technology field make news about philanthropy.
Here are a few that caught my eye:
- Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have been traveling through China, meeting with the wealthy and affluent of the country, to inspire them to give back to the community more than they have. Reports indicate that the participants are very receptive to the message, and the charitable donations in China from this group are expected to grow as a result. Gates and Buffett are looking ahead to India next year.
- Facebook’s Mark ZuckerBerg will be donating $100M to New Jersey public schools. Newark in particular barely graduates 1 out of 2 students, and the college enrollment rate is smaller than that. A donation of this magnitude, and the programs it will yield, will surely have an impact on these kids.
- A number of companies, including Dell, ExxonMobil, and UPS International, joined numerous governments in pledging millions as a part of UN Summit on Millenium Development Goals, to help end extreme poverty and hunger, drive education, and promote equality.
Big names, big dollars, big impact.
Rather than sit back in awe, I hope this inspires all of us to give something back – donate to a charity, make time to volunteer, do a good deed. Even a seemingly small gesture could make a big difference with rippling effects.
Here’s to Tech making a difference!
Until next time,
- GREAT READ: "Making Windows green" - console graphics support with openSUSE Linux suse.com/communities/bl… #opensource #Linux @OpenSUSE @SUSE 3 days ago
- BOTS: @Netflix releasing bot for managing GitHub, @PayPal releasing bot for peer-to-peer payments buff.ly/2lI65kT #cloud #developers 5 days ago
- Musk, Hawking, others develop "23 Asilomar AI Principles," guidelines aimed at protecting humankind from rogue AI searchcio.techtarget.com/news/450412367… 1 week ago
- RT @OpenStack: Let your voices be heard! Answer the latest #OpenStack User Survey: openstack.org/user-survey 1 week ago
- RT @HPC_Guru: Solving the Challenges of Scientific Clouds - by Ben Cotton (@FunnelFiasco) in @TheNextPlatform nextplatform.com/2017/02/06/sol… #HP… 1 week ago