The Dell OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution: An Update!
Hello fellow cloud fans!
There’s been a lot going on with the OpenStack team at Dell – and its been wreaking havoc with my blogging time!
It’s been about six weeks since we announced our Dell OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution, the market’s first OpenStack cloud solution featuring hardware, software and services.
And the movement has been fast and furious!
Here’s a quick update…
The Real Deal
This is the most exciting development from our team.
Real customers solving real problems with a real OpenStack solution from Dell… TODAY.
Many of you have reached out, learned about the power and agility of the Dell OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution, and have stepped up to working with Dell to get OpenStack going in their environments. It’s awesome that we’re able to partner with a number of you out there on some of the coolest, new technology out there.
With our long history with OpenStack (since Day 1), our cloud optimized PowerEdge C server line, and the power of the Dell Crowbar software enabling customers to get a multi-node OpenStack cloud on bare metal in less than two hours, this solution is just making a lot of sense for many of our customers.
In fact, looking for some “rubber meets the road” info?
Look no further than Dell OpenStack customer, DreamHost – they’re a great example of how partnering with Dell can get you REAL progress on OpenStack.
Check out the FULL CASE STUDY here – http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/solutions/en/Documents/dreamhost-openstack-cloud-case-study.pdf
Crowbar has really taken off since we announced it with the release of the Dell OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution.
In case you don’t know what Crowbar is, it’s a Dell- developed software framework designed to enable customers to deploy OpenStack quickly, as well as be a continuous integration engine for your sustaining OpenStack cloud. It’s based on Opscode’s Chef tool, and is available as open source code for anyone to download (link to site at end of blog).
- I mentioned DreamHost as a Dell OpenStack customer – they are actually using Crowbar as a means to deploy their Ceph storage technology. They have taken Crowbar and developed their own “barclamp” to deploy their technology. (A barclamp is a Crowbar module that performs a function like BIOS update, network discovery, etc.)
- The Cloud Foundry team at VMware has done the same – taken the Crowbar software framework and written barclamps that will deploy the open source PaaS.
- Check out Rob Hirschfeld’s Blog to learn more about some of the tech details on what’s happening with Crowbar. Link at the end of this blog.
And a whole lot more – Diablo, the Essex Summit, OpenStack training at Dell
Our team’s are also feverishly working on Diablo support for our OpenStack offering. (FYI – the Diablo release of OpenStack is slated to go public next week on Sep 22.) We’ll actually be cooperating with a number of partners over the next week on enabling Diablo – keep an eye out – you may see some tech blogging going on about this soon.
And then there’s the upcoming OpenStack Conference and Design Summit, to be held in Boston the week of Oct 3. Dell has been a major part of EVERY OpenStack design summit, and this one is no different, as Dell is a conference sponsor of the event. All the usual Dell OpenStack celebrities will be there – along with a few new ones – participating in a variety of capacities at the event, so buckle up for some real insight based on real world OpenStack feedback.
Finally, if you haven’t heard, the OpenStack community announced a number of trainings to get users up to speed on the cloud technology. There are a number of trainings planned, including sessions in Boston, London, and Dell headquarters in Austin. If you’re interested in learning more about the training happening at Dell in Austin, check it out here http://www.cvent.com/events/rackspace-training-for-openstack-austin/event-summary-77838e10ba284088b4628026f2cd9158.aspx
Being the marketing director, I want to be sure you have access to a number of the wicked cool stuff out there on our OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solutiona, Crowbar, and more.
- WHIR Webinar – Rob Hirchfeld (@zehicle) and I were on a recent Web Hoster Industry Review (WHIR) webinar, where we spent an hour going over our OpenStack solution, a lot of the technical details around Crowbar, and even took some questions from the audience. (This is where I invented the word “dynormous”.) Replay here: http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-webinar/082211_Prying_Open_the_Cloud_with_Dell_Crowbar_and_OpenStack
- CloudCast Podcast – Rob, AD (@ADatDell), and I were also featured on a recent podcast with the CloudCast team – this was a fun one – check it out here: http://www.thecloudcast.net/2011/08/episode-16-dell-dude-youre-getting-big.html
- Crowbar VIDEOs – Rob posted two great videos on Crowbar in action!
- More info on the Dell OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution – www.Dell.com/OpenStack
- Get open source Crowbar – www.github.com/DellCloudEdge
- The FULL Case Study on web hoster DreamHost using Dell, Crowbar, and OpenStack – http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/solutions/en/Documents/dreamhost-openstack-cloud-case-study.pdf
- OpenStack Conference – Details on the upcoming OpenStack Design Summit and Conference where Dell is a conference level sponsor – http://www.openstack.org/community/events/openstack-conference-fall-2011/
- Details on the upcoming OpenStack training at Dell. http://www.cvent.com/events/rackspace-training-for-openstack-austin/event-summary-77838e10ba284088b4628026f2cd9158.aspx
- Blogs – http://www.robhirschfeld.com/, http://www.bartongeorge.net/
- Join the team! Like what you see here? Got some OpenStack technical, product management, or strategy chops? Come join our team! Check out a couple of the spots we’re hiring for – Product Management https://dell.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=792928 and Strategy http://jobs.dell.com/austin/marketing/senior-strategy-and-planning-manager-%E2%80%93-cloud-and-data-solutions-jobs.
Whew! Told ya it would be a lot…
OK, that should get you up to speed.
As always, feel free to contact us at OpenStack@Dell.com or leave a comment.
On my next blog, I’ll get you an update on where we are with our new Apache Hadoop solution!
Until next time,